Saturday, November 15, 2008

Blackpool donkey (part 1)

Blackpool last year I came second & won 56.5k in the main event my largest live cash & 2ND largest cash i have made. This year I had more chance winning the x factor than cashing in Blackpool.


£300.00 FREEZE OUT.

Determined not to sit and grind as I think I have been doing too much of that lately I decided to play a bit more aggressively and try & amass some chips early on. Looking up some early flops with marginal hands was the strategy but unluckily I never seemed to connect with any flops.
Forced to tighten up when %50 of my starting stack disappeared I then called a all in with ak versus 99. The 99 held up which crippled me leaving me with 1025 in chips.
Obviously with the blinds of 300/600 they were going to be in the mix sooner rather than later.

Enter the monster hand of 9 3 (HEY SUITED)
The hand played like this.
First position raises to 2200, then a re raise to 5000, a all in for 4100, me to act "VALUE ALL IN".
Ali Mallu behind me announces all in for 15k and is instantly called by the re raiser.
On there backs...

ACES FOR ALI

KINGS,

ACE KING &POCKET TENS COMPLETE THE HANDS ALONG WITH MY MONSTER HOLDING OF 9 3!

First card out a ACE trips for Ali, followed by a 4 and eight, shit!

Turn a five, hey i see a out here!" come on the little duck"

River...
a nice little duck quack quack, giving me the bottom straight, bizarre but very welcome.

This happened about 3 hours into the comp. My luck had returned.
I continued to build ever so slowly cutting through the Field of 200+ players I managed to survive down to the last hour of play,holding approx 14k in chips and a average of 22k ish.
With approx 60 players remaining my thought process was to survive the last hour, try and increase my stack if possible but survive day 1 and see what tomorrow brings.

Me in the big blind holding 9 7 first position limps the proverbial Blackpool rock and two other callers compete to see the flop.

Flop came 9 7 5 me two pair.
Now I push all in hoping to get a call from the limper with her over pair to the board and she duly obliges flipping her pocket ACES.
The turn
A five giving Mrs Rock a higher two pair.
Exit me.

To summarise I got very lucky to survive , played very well to survive and the luck evened out to send me crashing out.
Over all I am pleased that I played well to at least give myself a chance.


£500.00 FREEZE OUT.

Arriving a hour late after a 2 hour chat with my mentor (more about that in part two),I exited quite early in bizarre fashion.
Moving from my original table I was moved to what I thought was going to be a good table. Ewan Jones Tom Middleton Farook and a couple of others I know felt I could certainly make progress here, & patience was the best strategy.
A player 2ND to my left went on a run where he hit everything and was certainly playing the rush, he also got well paid of some good hands also increasing his stack to well over 40k with a average of 14k.

When he limped on my big blind(he is 2Nd to act) his eyes followed every players action round the table indicating his hand was very strong I hoped for a nice hand like aces or 7 2 nothing in between.
The small blind makes it up and I look at my cards pocket nines.
Now THERE IS NO WAY i am raising here as I am sure Mr Rush probably has a over pair.
Flop 9 8 3 two clubs

I check Mr Rush bets 800 and the small blind raises to 2000.
I instant push all in and Mr Rush instant calls.
The small blind dwells then passes announcing he had two pair.

Mr Rush proudly turns his pair of queens as I reveal my top set.

Turn a QUEEN goodnight Vienna.

To summarise "what can you do"

I alsom played two super sats for the main event going deep in both. The second one hurt a bit when my AK lost to KJ!!

I played a one table satellite getting heads up with pocket kings versus pocket tens, a ten on the river.

That was it.

Back to the hotel,packed and left town on the nearest donkey, Blackpool was over for me this year.

A few people have asked me why i have not played the main event at Blackpool this year & after reading the above maybe they will understand why.
What happened last year really has no bearing on this year. I am out of form and luck so really it was not the right decision.
I will also add to massive outdraws to the occasion in super sat,s for the main event so I knew it just was,not my week.

However a POSITIVE result at Blackpool which will be explained in full in part two
l8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home